Say “Seattle,” and immediately you think coffee, clouds, Space Needle. But America’s rainy city has more than fish markets and hipsters, and travelers should do their due diligence to prepare for this unusual destination.
Don’t Forget to Pack …
You may think you’ve got business travel down to a science, but the Pacific Northwest can surprise you. Don’t get caught in the rain without these necessities:
- Weather-appropriate clothing. It gets chilly and wet. Bring a classic blazer or jacket and sturdy footwear.
- Charging cords, and the gadgets they belong to.
- Travel-size toiletries are a must; always bring hand sanitizer.
- A flash drive for important documents (and vacation photos).
Where to Stay
There are so many options in this vibrant, varied city, but here are some hot spots to focus on:
- Stay downtown or on the nearby waterfront to experience the hustle and bustle of New York City with a distinctly Pacific Northwest flavor.
- Pick the Queen Anne area to seek out Seattle’s hidden staircases while being within walking distance of the Space Needle.
- Book a hotel in Redmond, the “bicycle capital of the Northwest” for a night of peace from the craziness of the city — or even your whole stay — to explore the home of Microsoft and Seattle’s hottest suburb.
What to See
If you’re only going to be in Seattle once, you must visit the famous landmarks. Pike Place Market, the Space Needle, the Great Wheel. But you should seek out some lesser-known gems as well to impress clients with your Seattle know-how as you wine and dine them.
- The Ballard Carnegie Library, a public library rich with history, will rev your appetite for some local wine and savory treats at The Noble Fir.
- Curated glass art at Chihuly Garden & Glass will get you hungry for a Cajun-Creole meal at nearby Toulouse Petit.
Don’t give up your resolutions just because you’re on an exciting trip. Seattle has your back — it has been listed as one of the top 10 fittest cities in America from numerous sources.
- Work out at your hotel’s gym or get a day pass to a highly-rated health club.
- Get outside for some fresh air in Seattle’s natural beauty, like Green Lake Park or Puget Sound.
- Seek out a healthy meal from one of the restaurants in the spirited food scene.
What to Bring Back
You’ve had a whirlwind trip, but you can’t forget the people back home! Fear not, Seattle offers fun and unique souvenirs to help you and yours remember the Northwest fondly.
- Lean into the coffee culture and bring back a mug (or the beans…) from your favorite cafe or roaster.
- Pick up some regional delicacies, like smoked salmon, sweet Washington cherries, or Marionberry jam.
Seattle is a wonderful destination for business or pleasure. Whether you are hoping to entertain clients or wander the neighborhoods after hours, the city has delightful surprises in store around every turn, for every occasion.
Image via Flickr by tiffany98101